ADX Training Opportunities
Every Vocational Counselor knows a job, even a career, does not solve the array of barriers individuals who are poor and disable face such as: poor credit, limited assets, victims of predatory lending, understanding of public benefits, inadequate insurance, and poor money management skills. All of these barriers prevent individuals from succeeding. Frequently counselor and administrators know the problem but do not know how to talk about it. These trainings are aimed at providing information that allows professionals to help clients think about how to become financial stable.
Asset Development in the Southeast
TACE’s Monthly 30-second Training!
Take advantage of learning opportunities and useful resources with these quick & interactive presentations on late-breaking Asset Development topics!
- Asset Development Resources for Serving Individuals with Disabilities
- Earned Income Tax Credit
- CFED: The Corporation for Enterprise Development
- Student Earned Income Exclusion
- Asset Development: Helping Clients Thrive, Not Just Survive
Asset Development Webinar Series
This archived series offers vocational counselors and administrators information that will allow them to:
- Provide an overview of what is happening on the national level concerning financial stability for individuals with disabilities
- Understand how asset development strategies fit into the rehab process
- How to talk about money in the context of vocational planning.
- How to include asset building tools such as financial literacy and planning into individual employment plans
- How to use asset building tools to increase clients interest in earning over SGA and thus increasing SSA reimbursement dollars
- Understanding how asset building strategies can increase the client's investment in their IEP
- How helping your client understand money and asset building tools can decrease recidivism, increase wages and decrease maintenance cost.
Presenter: Michael MorrisMore information and archive
This session will explain what asset development means, why it is important and what is occurring on a national level within the disability field regarding asset development. It will explore changing perspectives, approaches and proposed changes in policies.
Presenter: Thomas JensenMore information and archive
Few counselors ever received any training on how to talk about money. This webinar will look at the steps in the rehabilitation process and what needs to be talked about at each stage of counseling and guidance concerning money.
Presenter: Elizabeth Jennings
More information and archive
This session will explain the different work incentives connected to SSA and how to use them as a tool in asset building strategies.
Presenters: Jackie Wilks-Weathers & Richard KeelingMore information and archive
This session will help VRCs and CRPs Progress learn concrete strategies to leverage programs together to progress in building a better financial future for their clients.
Presenter: Mike O'Brien, Director of Oklahoma Vocational RehabilitationMore information and archive
This session will provide details and opportunities to discuss:
- Looking at how poverty strategies assisting unbanked individuals can also assist VR clients.
- A job does not address many of the issues clients’ face that causes them to have reopened their cases. A job does not help them address large debt, does not help them plan financially, become banked, build credit, receive low interest emergency loans. How partnering with the asset building community can assist with these issues.
- Examples of what Oklahoma Vocational Rehabilitation has done to implement innovative approaches that result in expanding financial stability for their clients.